Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Misnomer

In honor of Words Matter Week, a holiday that is celebrated annually the first full week in March, the National Association of Independent Writers and Editors (NAIWE) is hosting a Blog Challenge with a specific daily topic Monday through Friday.

I'm a day late (yes, and a dollar short!) but I thought I'd comment on yesterday's topic:

Communication breaks down when words are misused. What is the funniest, most interesting, or worst break-down you’ve ever observed?


I was struggling through my first year as a reporter at a small newspaper in Orange County, Ca. I couldn't believe how much I was expected to know and hadn't been taught in journalism school.

I worked at an old-fashioned afternoon paper, which are all but extinct these days, with early morning deadlines. I would literally break into a cold sweat just driving to work, anticipating that deadline pressure.

As the low man on the totem pole, I routinely got the klunker story assignments. That meant on Armistice Day, I was sent to the local VFW for a World War I reunion.

It might have been an inspiring, interesting event. Except for the fact that all the veterans were wheelchair-bound, hard-of-hearing and senile. Their wives poked, prodded and shouted the old-timers through the ceremony in the most demeaning way imaginable.

If I'd been more experienced, I would have known how to handle the assignment gracefully. Instead, I gritted my teeth and tried to get out of there as quickly as possible.

At the reception after the ceremony, I introduced myself as Karen Klein and explained that I needed to do some interviews with the veterans. But somehow, my name seemed difficult to grasp.

I shouted it multiple times, until someone at a table repeated a garbled version. Like a game of "telephone," grotesque versions of my name ricocheted around the room.

Finally, one of the women seemed to understand. "Clara Pine! This is Clara Pine. She's a reporter!" she announced.

Trying to start all over was beyond me. So for the rest of the afternoon, I was intrepid girl reporter Clara Pine.

Not my best journalism moment, but I survived. And my colleagues got quite a chuckle out of it when I got back to the newsroom.

6 comments:

  1. That's too funny. I'm the caregiver for my grandmother, and I find myself in the company of older people quite often. I've learned to answer to pretty much anything.

    Thanks for being part of Words Matter Week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, MJ. No I haven't read that book, but I'm definitely putting it on my reading list. Appreciate the recommendation.

    Thanks for doing this, Janice. It's a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's charming. Intrepid, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story.

    (The misnomers and malaprops I most remember were my own. I share these sparingly.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somebody else in the contest mentioned misheard song lyrics. I have gone for years belting out completely wrong words for popular songs, only to discover it belatedly and feel like a dork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some cherished ones from my brother, but I won't embarrass him online. Ask me and I'll tell you next time we meet.

    ReplyDelete