Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Ironic, Ain't It?

The word irony - nay, the concept itself - must be one of the most misunderstood and misused in the English language.

I was watching cable news the night of the recent NYC bomb attempt, and the breathless reporter-on-scene kept going on about how "ironic" it was to see normally bustling Times Square silent and empty on a Saturday night.

No.

That sight may well have been eerie, unsettling and improbable. But it was not ironic.

You want irony? Every so often I interview someone whose whole schtick is the importance of listening in business and in life.

And he's going on about it, and going on and on and on. So much fast and furious verbiage is spilling out of my telephone receiver, in fact, that I have a hard time politely breaking in for a question or clarification. I find myself having to rudely speak over this kind of person, finally, to get a word in edgewise or redirect the conversation.

As important as my source claims it is to listen to others, he's definitely not listening to me. (And yes, there usually tends to be a "he" involved.) In fact, by the end of the interview, I'm usually feeling distinctly un-listened-to.

Now that's ironic. Not to mention damned obnoxious.

What ironies have you experienced lately?

9 comments:

  1. I guess it's the good advice that I just can't take.
    Wait, did somebody say that before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Do as I say, not as I do."

    One of my dad's favorites, along with "Two wrongs don't make a right." That one was usually trotted out when we caught him doing something he'd just told us not to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever noticed that people who begin their sentences with "Look..." or "Listen..." rarely do either?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I experience ironies all the time but I've become so accustomed to them I don't notice anymore. Also, I don't watch the news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does this count?
    http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2010/05/drem-big-gjrads.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. A generous helping of rich irony, indeed. You don't even need that side of sugary frosting, with those cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good health is above wealth.健康重於財富,要保重自己哦!..................................................

    ReplyDelete