Friday, July 8, 2011

Hug Challenge

My long-time (former) colleague at Businessweek.com, Michelle Nichols the Savvy Seller, has been pouring her heart and soul into a "hug your kids today" campaign since her son, Mark, died suddenly at 8 1/2 years old from brain cancer in 1998.

She's written a book for working parents, won awards and taken her concept global.

Now she's created the 30-Day Hug Challenge and she needs help spreading the word. Take a look, hug a kid (find a friend or a relative if you don't have one of your own) and send some feedback to Michelle. She's a dear woman determined to make the world a better place.

It really would be a better place if we had more Michelles around.

7 comments:

  1. The neighbor kids like me, but I think one would be our limit.

    Heartbreaking but hopeful story, though. Did you hear the This American Life story related to this? Funny and touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember that TAL story - which episode was it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I download every episode; I'll listen for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/438/fathers-day-2011

    "I just called to say."

    Ok, it wasn't about hugging, it was about a dad who tried to say I love you to his daughter every day for a month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes, the father's day episode. I loved that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen,

    Thanks for letting your readers know about the www.30DayHugChallenge.com and www.HugYourKidsDay.com.
    Our goal is to generate a million hugs in July, so I hope your readers will join me, either formally through the hug challenge, or informally, by just hugging their kids and loved ones.
    BTW, thanks to your readers' comments, I pitched a story to TAL on the Hug Challenge. Teamwork really is a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Michelle, and good luck on your TAL pitch, that's terrific!

    ReplyDelete