Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Teaching Teens

It seems controversial these days, but not everyone is cut out for a four-year college course of study.


There are good jobs - jobs going begging, in fact - in the trades and manufacturing areas where many people have strong aptitude. But because they no longer involve just "swinging a hammer," qualified applicants need to get some post-secondary training in order to do them.


Check out my column about some small manufacturers partnering with high schools to train future employees.

2 comments:

  1. Makes total sense to me. This has long been the practice in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, AH. My boys spent most of their extracurricular time in athletics, and I saw many of their friends struggle with what to do after high school.

    I'm not saying they were "dumb jocks" by any means, but many of these boys weren't cut out for four years of liberal arts education. A couple ended up at those very expensive, for-profit schools learning trades. A couple others have floundered.

    I think if we had a clear path into skilled labor here, it would have served them very well.

    ReplyDelete