Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Garden Update

We're getting quite a show from our organic garden these days.

We started harvesting veggies on July 1 and we're still going strong. So far, we've had pumpkins, green beans, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, eggplant, onions and radishes.

Here's a monster heirloom tomato I picked yesterday and plan to put into Tuscan Pappa al Pomodoro tonight:



If you look closely, you can see the praying mantis, Torquemada (my son named him after another "praying predator" - we call him Torquie for short) that has taken up residence in our pepper plants:



I'm normally not an insect lover, but these guys are really beneficial in the garden (they eat pests) so I'm glad he's (she's?) moved in.

The only big disappointment so far has been our cantaloupe vines. They were lush and lovely, but young fruit never seemed to set. A couple of weeks ago they suddenly turned sickly and never recovered. I pulled them out and took a sample to my local nursery, where they pronounced nematode infestation. Turns out there's not much you can do to stop these bacterial worms that turn your plants' roots knotty and stop water and nutrients from getting up the stem.

Too bad, because we had a lot of hopes pinned on those melons. We do have watermelons growing in another part of the yard, though. Just hope that's out of range of the nematodes.

2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeouos tomato! (wait, didn't once upon a time men say that about girls?) Where's the link to your recipe? Of course I would want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought that was the dumbest euphemism ever! Women like ripe fruits/veggies? Geez, let's not dehumanize or anything ...

    I used a recipe from www.choosy-beggars.com, a food blog. (search on pappa al pomodoro and you'll see it) though I must admit I bought a loaf of bread and dried it out in the oven because I didn't have leftover bread around.

    ReplyDelete