Sunday, February 7, 2010

Foraging

This weekend I took three bags of Meyer lemons to the Produce Exchange in Monrovia.

After getting up early Saturday and picking said lemons in the rain (waterproof poncho and rubber galoshes do come in handy, even in SoCal!), I was glad to take home a bag of tangerines, tangelos, oranges and sage. A local coffee shop contributed grounds for compost, so I took a bag of those also.

I'm sure the bounty will expand beyond citrus this spring and summer, so I look forward to sharing the fruits and veggies of my garden with this group again in March. They meet on the first Saturday of the month, in the basement of the Monrovia United Methodist church.

Heather, the woman who organized this group, told me about Meyer lemon shaker pie so I'm trying out the recipe right now. Not sure how it will taste, but it smells heavenly in the oven.

Speaking of using your garden bounty in the kitchen, check out Forage, a new restaurant in Silver Lake.

Home gardeners bring in their produce and the chefs design a dish around it! You even get a shout-out if they use your foodstuffs on their ever-changing menu. Wow. Talk about the ultimate fun for a proud home-tiller!

I would love to try it sometime, maybe when my summer gardens starts to churn out goodies.

6 comments:

  1. Just found out about another produce cooperative here in the SGValley:

    http://sgvproducecooperative.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookmarked for next year's clementine overload, thanks. Though my neighbors may not approve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Petrea, it sounds like you have enough clementines to supply the neighborhood and the produce exchanges!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did, but they're all gone now. It was fun while it lasted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How was the pie? I sure have the lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't like it, to be honest. The peel was so acidic that even with all that sugar, it was overwhelming. I think I might try it again but peel the lemons before slicing them.

    ReplyDelete