Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The New "Gig" Economy

Check out this interesting post by Chaz Austin, a new friend-of-a-friend.

His premise is that work in the 21st century will be about moving from project to project and finding places where you can add value, as well as benefit yourself.

I figured all this out 22 years ago this summer, when I quit my job and decided to try out self-employment "for a few years." Most of my friends are also freelancers and they've had to master this as well.

Interesting to think about more and more people having to do the same.

6 comments:

  1. I've been doing this for a long time. It has its good points, like freedom, and you never have to get bored. The hardest thing is planning, and being your own boss. Most freelancers I know, including myself, work much longer hours than the old 9 to 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that I work different hours than I used to in an employer job, but not necessarily longer. Of course, I was a newspaper reporter and regularly worked very long, unpredictable hours, which is unusual.

    I may work nights and weekends now, where I didn't then, but I can also take time off to have lunches or breakfasts with friends, go to conferences, happy hour, etc.

    Much prefer being my own boss. I don't think I could ever go back to the grind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could do it if I had to, but I'm very glad I don't have to - yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 22 years ago? Smart, smart, smart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Necessity is the mother of invention, AH.

    Very true, in my case!

    ReplyDelete