Friday, January 20, 2012

Spammers and Scammers

Are the bad guys working overtime, or what? Maybe the New Year's resolutions are kicking in for crooks and liars.

At any rate, be careful out there. In the past week, I've been hit with a Twitter phishing attack, a couple of spam emails (fortunately blocked by my virus protection) and a phone call offering me a "free Bahama cruise" if I would take a 30-second survey.

Yarite.

If something's too good to be true, an unfamiliar website asks you to enter your password, or anything strikes you as "not quite right," heed your impulses and get out, quickly. Better to lose out on a freebie than fall for a scheme. And cruises aren't looking quite so attractive these days anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I mostly get email. I can't believe people are still writing from foreign countries to tell me millions of dollars have been left to me by an estranged relative. And today I got one from a neighbor who has obviously been hacked, telling me she's stuck in Spain without any cash.
    Yarite, as you say. I just saw her yesterday.

    ReplyDelete