Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bounty of the Earth


There's nothing more fun for me than researching a column and coming up with a treasure trove of resources for my readers. So I had a great time delving into community-supported agriculture startups for today's Smart Answers column. By the time I was done, I was ready to start a garden business myself!

In fact, I have been a happy customer of such enterprises a couple of times in the past decade. Now I make weekly trips to our local farmer's market where I get better selection, but the convenience of having a box of farm-fresh fruits and veggies delivered to the doorstep is really wonderful.

By this summer, I hope to have quite a backyard crop myself. While my college student son was home for winter break, he rototilled my side yard (see above), previously the site of our aboveground pool. Then my high school senior helped me dig up some beds and amend the soil with compost, leaves and organic fertilizer. When it's time for summer vegetables, I'm hoping this garden will be bursting with organic produce.

I don't think I'll be getting into the CSA business, though. I'm more likely to give away excess goodies to friends and neighbors.

3 comments:

  1. Desiree, I don't know if you're excited about the fresh garden produce, or the sight of a teenager working in the yard.

    I can't tell you which one makes me happier, either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, I knew I should have had children!

    ReplyDelete