Friday, June 17, 2011

Helicopter Parents

We've all heard about helicopter parents who are overly involved in their kids' choice of college classes, majors, etc.

Now it seems that behavior is being extended into first jobs. According to a new survey from staffing firm OfficeTeam, clingy mothers and fathers submit their child’s resume, follow up on salary offers for their kids and even ask to sit in on job interviews!

Executives interviewed were asked to recount the most unusual or surprising behavior they had heard of or witnessed from the parent of a job seeker. Here are some of their responses:

“One parent wanted to sit in during the interview.”
“A parent called a politician to push me to hire his son.”
“A mother submitted her daughter’s resume on her behalf.”
“Someone stopped an employer at a grocery store to ask that person to hire her child.”
“A parent called to ask about a job applicant’s work schedule and salary.”
“A parent called during the interview to try to push me to hire her daughter.”
“I received a call from a father asking about the status of his son’s application.”
“A parent came by my desk and told me that he expected his daughter to get preference for a position since he was a manager at the company.”
“A mother called to ask how her child did in the job interview.”
“A parent called to find out why we did not hire her son and why we felt he was not qualified.”


Must resist such interventions. Seriously, it's harder than it sounds.

2 comments:

  1. Many of these are not unheard-of, even from when I was a kid. But I wonder if any are successful in getting a kid a job? And what does that teach a young person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my first jobs through friends. My parents hardly knew what I was doing until after the fact, let alone intervened to help me.

    However, a friend recently confided that his son was pressing him to help him get a job at his company. Son did not think dad was adding enough of his influence to the process; dad was reluctant to step in.

    I'm mindful of how tough times are, especially on the younger workers whose unemployment rate is extremely high as older employees cannot retire. It's quite a dilemma.

    Thankfully (!) both my sons have jobs this summer, something we haven't been able to say for three years.

    ReplyDelete