Thursday, April 5, 2012

Tax Time Help

It's that time again, when all good Americans must come to the aid of their country - and pay up.

Not to gloat, but my taxes were filed weeks ago and I even got a refund this year, for about the first time in a decade. (Okay, I am gloating a little - but hey.)

Anyway, if you haven't gotten around to that box of receipts or online spread sheet yet, there is help available. For instance, The Free File Alliance, a coalition of leading tax software companies, and the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program offer free tax software and face-to-face tax help for taxpayers who made $50,000 or less last year.

Through this new partnership, Free File Alliance member software is now available at self-assist computer kiosks found in nearly 300 VITA locations across 29 states. Eligible taxpayers can access these kiosks and use this brand-name software to prepare and e-file their tax returns.

Another bit of good news: Tax day is Sept. 17 this year, so you've got two additional days to procrastinate!

3 comments:

  1. Done and done. You know, rather than have my taxes done by the head of the firm this year, I made an appointment w/one of the lower ranking CPA's, because I'd made quite a bit less than in past years, and I didn't want to get into it, and blah, blah, blah. And he's rather a big wheel, so why bother him with my few grubby dollar bills. But as I was sitting in the accountant's office, who should walk in? He scooped up my files and motioned me to follow him to his giant corner suite. Busted. Busted, by a true gentleman and sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! That's customer service done right. I used a head-of-the-firm (albeit a small firm) for a number of years. But his price just kept going up and up and finally got ridiculous, especially when I was doing all the work and he was just punching in my numbers and running them through his software.

    So I flailed around for a couple of years and finally found a woman who is just terrific, so smart and helpful, for about half the price. I have a longer drive, but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guy is in Brentwood, so I kind of make a day of it. Visit my old school, and then drive home by way of Mulholland from Westwood to Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete