Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Small Business Saturday

First came Black Friday, then Cyber Monday, and now, on Nov. 27, comes Small Business Saturday.

It's a national movement launched by American Express, the 3/50 Project and more than a dozen partners to drive demand for goods and services sold by small, independently owned brick-and-mortar businesses.

Cinda Baxter, retail expert and founder of The 3/50 Project, says that it is not always cheaper to shop at the big box retailers. Money spent on local merchants stays local, she says, and you get the added bonus of connecting with your neighbors and community.

You know I don't need any persuading! I'll see ya on Main Street on Saturday.

4 comments:

  1. I have to add that I think the Wal-Marting of America has contributed greatly to our financial crisis. The desire to get things cheap is short-sighted; it diminishes the quality of life in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't shop at Wal-Mart. I typically hit Target or go to local stores where I know the people behind the counters.

    Much better quality of life, just for me as a shopper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too. Target's big enough, but at least they give millions to charity.

    ReplyDelete