Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Your Mug Shot

Have you posted a picture of yourself on LinkedIn and Facebook?

If not, you should. So says a savvy woman and long-time source of mine, PR consultant Linda Hamburger.

Linda wrote me this:

No one cares if you’re a pretty face or not. But I’m starting to hear that people feel non-picture-posters aren’t as “trustworthy” as picture posters. Or, they wonder whether someone who puts up a cute surrogate is immature or has a reason to hide behind a fa├žade.

You may feel a cute surrogate says something about who you are, but these on-line presences create our professional persona to the world. ... In truth, I like to know who is on the other end of the line. We don’t get a voice anymore, some people have terrible typos, why not at least give some sort of hint at what you look like?


Linda's advice echoes some I heard a couple of weeks ago from a Facebook expert. So get that picture uploaded! And make sure it's a professional portrait that puts you in your best light. (I've gotten some absolutely hideous head shots that I can't believe people actually want me to publish!)

No comments:

Post a Comment