Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Improv Tricks

What does improvisational acting have in common with small business ownership?

Not much, I would say off the top of my head. But the answer turns out to be "quite a lot," if you equate improv with networking.

Financially inKleined reader Rose King recently let me know about a fascinating article that lists 25 improv tips that entrepreneurs can use to make and keep strong business relationships.

Give it a look; you might learn something before you go to that next Chamber Mixer.

5 comments:

  1. I used to work in improv theater. I don't know if I apply these things or not. Networking comes naturally to me, but I know it's uncomfortable for many people.
    Of all of these techniques, I think the ones that emphasize supporting others (2,3,4,9,17 and 24) say a lot about what good networking is about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petrea, I bet you apply some of them subconciously, just from all the training you've had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at the list, and I definitely do. It might not be a bad idea for those who don't naturally follow these techniques to take an improv class just to loosen up. If nothing else, it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it'll help immensely with public speaking, presentations and pitching.

    ReplyDelete