Monday, April 20, 2009

Red Hot Internet

Last weekend, I attended an Internet publicity seminar conducted by Penny Sansevieri of Author Marketing Experts, Inc.

I have been to three or four of these workshops, all sponsored by the Independent Writers of Southern California (IWOSC).

Penny's was easily the best. It was detailed and practical but easy to follow. I found out that there are a lot of things I could be doing to increase my visibility online.

A few highlights:

There are more than 500 social networking sites on the web. Penny says you need only three: Facebook, Squidoo and Twitter.

She recommends downloading the Google toolbar and using PageRank, a tool that shows you how Google assesses the strength of any website or blog you visit. This way, you can spend your online marketing time wisely, targeting the strongest sites (i.e., those that have the most visitors, incoming links, etc.).

Think there aren't enough hours in the day to keep up your tweeting, blogging and commenting - let alone actually work for a living? There is software that allows you to automate your tweets and posts, so that anything you write for one venue can be repurposed everywhere else you have an account. (Exactly how one sets that up I didn't quite catch, but Penny claims it can be done.)

Finally, she says, "social media" is so named precisely because it is "social." Expect to spend time socializing online just as you would if you were going into face-to-face social situations. The great news? Online networking is much easier on the fashion budget.

Penny has written a couple of books. And she's "BookGal" on Twitter, where she apparently posts loads of short and sweet tips every day. Check her out. If anyone could persuade me to sign up myself, she may just have done it.

2 comments:

  1. I am testing TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/beta/)which allows the user to view on one screen the Twitter and Facebook accounts they are following. It also makes it easier to respond to posting on social media sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She mentioned that one, Robert. Let me know what you think of it. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete